Sunday, March 08, 2009

Obfuscations I

To say that Jesus died for you and at the same time give you the impression that you can do it, you can do good works that merit you righteousness is obfuscation.

When I was an RC kid, I certainly did here that Jesus died for me. Yet I also heard that what appeases God was my doing of penance for the sins I have committed. This became the center of approach. The matter is that I was not being given the impression that I was dead in trespasses and sins and that I could not ever free myself. Rather, I just have to try harder next time and don't be naughty again. Hope for the best, do some novenas, get on with the program.

So I talk to some RC friends who are faithful members of Mother Church and they tell me I was mis-catechized when I was a kid. I got it wrong? What changed, don't they still officially affirm Faith + Works = Justification? Strange, I thought my reading of the Baltimore Catechism (OK I am older than you) was at par, I got confirmed at St. Mary's College so should the nuns there take the blame?

All I could say is, what does a kid gotta do, but get obfuscated? Now it is all my fault.

I also feel amused when I speak to Lutherans about my experience when I was with Mother Church, how back home, you can see the teaching in action, at the ground level. They say "Oh the practice is of no concern, it is the teaching that counts". I get obfuscated by such an attitude. The practice is the teaching! Where else do they get what they practice; and and these practices mind you are quite public and are a part of tradition, see for example this one here.
----
Christine: You have always been an Augsburgean deep down, I am glad God showed you from Scripture the centrality of the Gospel. You are at home again, where you have always belonged. God keep us all in the most holy faith.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That practice (youtube video) ought to be taught...but as a don't do this practice.

People get a little wacky when they stray from scripture.

LPC said...

SM,

This is 400 year old tradition, it is a political situation, I do not mean politicians involved, I am church hierarchy.

Imagine if they stop this now. Remember Aaron and the golden calf?

Aaron did not stop the idolatry did he?

LPC

Anonymous said...

Christine: You have always been an Augsburgean deep down, I am glad God showed you from Scripture the centrality of the Gospel. You are at home again, where you have always belonged. God keep us all in the most holy faith.

Indeed I am home again Lito and it's wonderful to be back!

God bless you for your faithful witness!

Christine

LPC said...

Christine,

God be praised for your witness too!

I rejoice that the Scripture has convinced you because there is nothing else really will or can. It is the Word and I could not get enough of it.

God grant you peace, it is Jesus.

LPC

Augustinian Successor said...

Dear Kuya,

I'm happy for Christine too. How did he come back to the true Christian Faith? Has Christine been at this blog before?

LPC said...

A.S.

Christine had been in this blog before and a long time ago, but from what I understand, she got convinced from Scripture of what she grew up in. All of these I believe God through the HS bringing to her and enlightening her what she heard and taught.

This just shows how the Scripture is God's witness to us and what has happened to her just got me rejoicing in Scripture again.

But I will let her write or respond as she finds fitting.

Christine,
If you are listening/reading, tell us how it came about, but only as you feel appropriate.

Blessings to you all,

LPC

Anonymous said...

Lito,

You've described it in a nutshell. As you know, I grew up with one Catholic and one Lutheran parent. My sister and I were raised in mom's Lutheran tradition.

To summarize, I attended both LCMS and other Lutheran churches before the ELCA merger in the U.S. The last congregation I was a member of was ELCA and I became increasingly unhappy with the direction the ELCA was taking when they entered into full communion with the Episcopal Church and several Reformed Churches. The ELCA also signed on the the Joint Declaration with the Catholic Church as well as ordaining women as pastors and also as bishops.

Since I had some knowledge of Catholicism and the liturgy of the ELCA was structured in a similiar, but not exact, way I thought well, at least Rome doesn't ordain women and believes in the Real Presence.

To make a long story short, I was Catholic for then years and rediscovered that there are still substantial differences in Lutheran and Roman belief and practice.

It was my renewed study of Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions that brought me back to my Lutheran roots and I am so glad to be back.

Christine

LPC said...

Hi Christine,

Thank you for dropping by and stating what happened.

I am convinced that if Scripture does not convince us nothing ever will. Jesus said that.

God be praised for his hand on this.

LPC

Anonymous said...

Lito,

I am convinced that if Scripture does not convince us nothing ever will. Jesus said that.

Amen to that!

I look forward to being a visitor on this site!

Christine

Past Elder said...

About my favourite line from Luther is something like "What ought to be the most obvious thing about the church became the most obscure".

It's in there, someplace, even in Rome, but clouded over with all sorts of stuff.

And if you get that "wrong", you were "mis-catechised", or IOW, as I like to put it, that's not what the church REALLY teaches!

Apparently "what the church REALLY teaches" is as obscure as what ought to be the most obvious thing about the church.

LPC said...

PE.

As Bud said from Back to the Future, those are mighty big words, partner (LOL).

I do not know how the RCC managed it but the art of obfuscation seems to be ingrained in it.

Christine,

God bless as you do.


LPC