Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sinners in the hands of an angry preacher

That is my guess. As I type this I am listening to Dr. Tom Baker's analysis of Jonathan Edward's famous sermon. Listen to Pr. Baker's critique here. Should you want to see my own analysis of Edward's sermon I made in 2006, it is found here.

The title of this post is what I guess Pr. Tom will use to rename the sermon. Am I correct? Listen to the end, I haven't reached it yet so my guess answer is either spot on or way off left field.

Should my guess title be wrong, sometimes I think though that the title is true; I felt like that way back when until I realized I am still a sinner too even after being converted. I seem to be a bit more relaxed now, not that much angry, since I am a sinner too.

4 comments:

David Cochrane said...

Yes. That sermon as in many sermons is sinner centered. Christ is mentioned as being out of and calling but not crucified, dead, buried and resurrected.

Back in the day when in the reformed church I could never put my finger on what was missing in that. It appeared to be like many sermons preached at me since a lad. Since listening to Father Baker's program and getting the sermon diagnostic from Father Wilkin all sermons are under the microscope.

It drives my pastors nutty.:D

LPC said...

That means we are getting more what we need and that is to be fed from the bread of life - Christ. He is the one missing in many sermons. You kinda hear about him at the start but you do not ever hear about him again.

LPC

J. K. Jones said...

“Therefore, let every one that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come. The wrath of Almighty God is now undoubtedly hanging over a great part of this congregation. Let every one fly out of Sodom: "Haste and escape for your lives, look not behind you, escape to the mountain, lest you be consumed." – Edwards at the very end of the aforementioned sermon
What other relief is there from the terror of the law than to flee to Christ?
Let’s not fall victim to the mindset that puts “God in the Hands of Angry Sinners” (see R. C. Sproul at: http://www.gracesermons.com/robbeeee/angry.html). There is wrath in His character. It must be preached. That wrath is certainly not all that Edwards preached on (http://www.apuritansmind.com/Justification/GerstnerJohnOnEdwardsOnJustification.htm).

LPC said...

JK,

The sermon is a superb preaching of the Law, however, the exhortation to "flee to Christ" is vague term when a sinner hears it. You and I would surmize it is to run to his Cross.

But Edward's sermon has none of that(at least for this one), it does not tell the sinner now terrified that Jesus at the Cross has apeased the Father for them.

The Gospel is the declaration that Jesus has answered for you. That I think should have been given at the end of the sermon as conclusion.


LPC