Monday, December 25, 2023

Sometimes Christmas is “boring”.

 


I am sure you got a bit of shock at me, a confessing Christian saying that. That sounds unbecoming, doesn’t it? Further my family will be surprised too at me saying this – because I taught my kids some Christmas traditions which I got from my mother and grandparents. As young boy, I looked forward to Christmas Eve the time we celebrate it because where I grew up, I was surrounded by cousins, and it was a lot of fun when the older ones help in what mom and grandma were cooking – and we did have plenty of food. Some of our dishes we only cook exclusively during Christmas Eve, and you do not have them unless it is Christmas or very special occasion. So, wait – do not judge the blog post by its title.

Yeah, it is strange for me to say Christmas is “boring”.

I get bored with the commercialization of Christmas and how the world pushes us to focus on the buying of products so that we can give gifts. In a sense of course, giving is part of Christian virtue. However, today in the West, we are driven to buy many products which are probably going to be kept in the closet unused. It becomes a problem as to what gift you think you should buy for your relatives and friends because you wonder what it is, they still do not have. Also, feasting produces stress and pressure too, the preparation heightens tiredness and thins the patience.  Of course, all of these are FB photo opportunities to post on our FB, but if we be honest – it feels empty. At least that is how I sometimes feel.

It feels empty because we allowed the commercial companies to high jack our precious meaning of OUR Christmas. Did you know that retail companies obtain 30% of their yearly revenue at Christmas time. Try taking away Christmas and you got a fight in front of you, these companies will side with Christians, I can predict – and it is because they get money out of Christmas. Just imagine if we stop celebrating Christmas like we do now – how many tree planters go out of business, how many groceries will struggle, how many butchers will have a dull year, how many people will not have a job! We have allowed the commercial world to dictate to us how we ought to celebrate Christmas and I rebel against that.

I can tell you this was not how the early Christians celebrated Christmas. To them Christmas was the birth of their King.

Luke 2:11

Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord!

 Christmas to the early Christians had to do with Sin and Salvation. I read they spend time reflecting and repenting. Repenting? That is something the companies don’t know about – focus on the products and the good time. Careful what we teach our children, we might be building the character of entitlement in them by leading them to expect presents and tons of them.

The early Christians celebrated the simplicity of the gift – the Lord in the flesh – It is all about Jesus. It is not about the presents – it is about the person – Jesus. The real gift of God to us.

 


 

2 comments:

Brother James said...

Well thought out and well said. Thanks, Doc. Merry Christmas!

LPC said...

Just saw this Bro James.

Thank you sir for your kind words.

LPC