Thursday, December 14, 2006

An ordinary special Steward

I am continuing to enjoy reading the Hammer of God. I wish I was given this book of Bo Giertz along with Walther's Law and Gospel before my stint in ministry. I think these are very helpful books for the would be pastor who has no clue as to what he is to do. Because at the end of the day, the most important thing is to get the message right before you get it out and these books illustrate how the Gospel is applied to the one in the pew as well to the one in the pulpit.

One thought that comes out in the Hammer is the simple idea that the pastor is the steward of the Gospel, in otherwords he is also a fellow sinner who is a work in progress himself. I thought this is so refreshing because back in Charismania, the pastor becomes the Gospel. In Charismania he becomes the epitome of a victorious, pious Christian life. He does not become a steward but becomes a life coach to demonstrate to you how you can do it and make it. This makes for disillusionment and burn out, it misunderstands what Christianity is all about.

3 comments:

Schütz said...

I was lucky enough to be given Hammer of God while I was training for the ministry. It is standard stuff now, I understand, in Spirituality classes at Australian Lutheran College (as they call the Sem these days). My wife even read it as a part of her certificate in pastoral ministry at ALC. I think it is so life changing because it is so pastorally "authentic". That's not to say that I would agree with everything in it these days, but it is an impressive work, and a very impressive representation of the pastoral ministry. Pity that there has never been an edition of it with decent binding...

LPC said...

Dear David,

I am curious, what made you disillusioned?

I did not become Lutheran because I expect it to answer all of my questions, as RC kid I am told to respect my priest, Luther was one of them and he adviced you will find the church where the Gospel is preached and the Sacraments administered. I am happy to denounce the Lutheran church when they no longer faithful to these.

LPC said...

David,

Should you visit again, thanks.

Perhaps you might like to interact with what I wrote about Fr. Neuhaus at
http://extranos.blogspot.com/search?q=neuhaus


Lito