Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wow, man, you're so peculiar you're cool

I got some more to say on propter fidem vs propter Christum but I will pause for a moment.

Let us face it, there are some things in this world that are so weird, they are hip. Rather than being far out, it is really in, it is awesome. Here is an example of how a liturgy has attracted young people, read it at a New York Times article here.

From what I recall about Luther, I understood him to say that if one is looking where the Church is; the person is to look where the Word is preached and the Sacraments are properly administered. I do not recall him advising that the person is to look at how transcendent/mysterious or how charismatic/modern or how pretty the liturgy happens to be. I might have missed it but do point me out where I misunderstood Luther in this regard.

There is a saying that what got them in, keeps them in and at that ...with more power/intensity as the days go by.

Hmmm, if I am a pastor and my people are coming to me for various reasons other than that they hear the Gospel from me, I'd better be disappointed... at myself.

2 comments:

Doorman-Priest said...

Luther also expected pastors to dress nice and have good dental hygiene!

D.P.

LPC said...

LOL. What about following manners such as not farting in public? Would that be another Luther myth?

LPC