Thursday, January 11, 2007

Lord, my name is Cruz

This is just a small interruption of the normal broadcast.

I was just reflecting on my name, which happens to be akin to the surname "Smith". It is, no offense the Smiths of this world, it is common and a bit ordinary.

My grandfather told me how we got our name. During the colonial times (my grandfather was born 1892, he was in his 60s when I was born) according to him, the Spaniards would require a census and all the Indios ("indians" - the native Filipinos) would be required to register. Since my ancestors were Indios, they did not know how to write and so when they reach the Spanish clerk to to sign their name, they would not know how. So instead, they will take the pen and just make a cross mark on the dotted line. Thus, the Spaniard would say - Ahh your name must be Cruz because you signed it that way. That explains why there are so many of us with that last name.

As an aside, we were not called Filipinos, that took a while, we had to earn it - we were Indios, not Filipinos - that term was meant for the Spaniards born in the Philippines only.

Anyhow, my last name also means - Cross in Spanish.

So now, I like to humbly pray - Lord, make me live up to my name, may I be a preacher of your Cross, may I like your saints of old, glory in no other. Amen.

6 comments:

TKls2myhrt said...

What an interesting story! Cruz, meaning "cross", is a wonderful last name, then. You obviously have a very positive nature!

LPC said...

Hi TK,

I have been around your blog but was not able to leave a comment last time I went. Looks like you are in the midst of plenty of fellowship from the brothers/sisters.

I will see again whacha bin duin.
(aussie speak).

Lito

TKls2myhrt said...

To leave a comment at Katie's Beer, you just click on the colored square at the top left of each post. (I know, it's kind of hard to see at first) Either it has a zero in it or a number related to how comments have been left.

LPC said...

TK,

I left a note, hope you saw it. Keep up the good work of encouraging us.

Lito

Orycteropus Afer said...

Thanks much, Lito. The Aardie is the least I can do in response.

LPC said...

Pastor,

Thanks for the AARDIE

From the Indio guy